Just like in many other states, before you can legally drive a car in the state of Alabama, you are required to have a minimum liability coverage. Knowing and adhering to these minimum coverages would save you from the penalties of driving without them which starts with a fine of about $500 and continues with your driving license being suspended.
It is very important that you know the minimum liability coverage expected of you. We would try to look at it here so that you would be on the safe side of Alabama auto insurance law. Here are the details of the minimum coverage amounts:
You are expected to have a minimum $25,000 to bodily injury for each person affected in the crash.
A total of $50,000 for coverage of bodily injury per accident.
For property damage, a total of $25,000 is required to cover this per accident.
It is very important that you note that this figures refer only to what the state requires from you. It is very possible for you to get higher liability figures that may arise from the lawsuits that may arise from an auto crash. You should also know that this does not in any way cover damages to your own car. What! No cover for my car? You can get extra coverage to accommodate damages to your car the other party’s car.
Some people are getting ready to be discouraged at these figures. To help drivers save money on their car insurance, we would look at some ways through which they can get affordable auto insurance coverages. One of the major ways that a drivers in Alabama can save on the auto insurance is by taking advantage of discounts.
What are discounts?
Discounts are incentives or rewards given by insurance companies to encourage you to do business with them or as a “thank you” for doing business with them. Here are some discounts.
1. Multiple Coverage Discounts. You can get discounts from your insurance company if you get different coverages like auto, home, health, life etc from them. Getting all these policies from the same insurer may work out cheaper for you.
2. Multiple Car Discounts. When you insure more than one car with an insurer, you stand the chance of earning some discount.
3. Low Mileage Discount. The more you drive your car, the more likely you are to be involved in an accident. If you succeed in reducing how often you use your car, you can get discounts for this. You can join a car pool, use the subway sometimes etc.
4. Good Driving Record. If you have a good driving record, then you are likely going to get a lower rate since you are not a high risk case.
5. Training In Defensive Driving. When you get trained on how to drive defensively (this is a method of driving that ensures more safety), you are regarded as a safer driver and would therefore get lower rates.
6. Students Good Grades. For a student driver, getting good grades in school presents you as a serious student and not the partying type and therefore less likely to get involved in reckless driving and accidents. This would earn you some reduced rates.
There are so many other ways to earn discounts and reduce your rates. You can find out more about this by asking your insurance agent. If you are in need of more information about Alabama auto insurance coverage, you can call the Alabama Department of Insurance at 334-269-3550.
Whatever you do, do not fail to get and compare quick auto insurance quotes. This is very important if you would find affordable auto insurance policies. Get your quotes now.
auto insurance quotes alabama